2.18 Marrying My Best Friend


"Will it delay the wedding?" Cam asked, concerned as he threw on his jean jacket over his favorite orange shirt.

He was on a a call from Dylan. They had wrapped inspection on the park and, thankfully, everything was up to code on the kitchen. He had a suggestion though that Cam needed to decide on soon. 

"No, no. I have a crew that can get in as soon as soon as you approve. It should be done in week tops." Dylan reassured him. "I went ahead and put in a build permit while we did the inspection, in case we needed to restructure anything. With the McGinnis standing with the Sims Council, it cleared in record time. I suspect all permits for your builds will clear just as quickly."

"And you really think its in the interest of the Gardens?"

"I do. It will substantially help your mother's garden and improve the overall quality. Not to mention just the overall appeal of the Gardens to the public."

Cam looked over at his desk, silent as he considered. "I'll think on it, Dylan... Can I get back to you this afternoon? I have plans with my fiance for the day."

Dylan understood and frowning Cam headed out to the living room where Madeline was munching on pancakes. She looked up as he walked over to sit across from her. "You know, you really have to stop making pancakes... I'm never going to fit into my wedding dress with you making these almost every morning..."




Cam laughed but Madeline noticed that it wasn't a true laugh. She always knew when Cam was distracted. "OK, what's going on?" she said a munched happily. She couldn't help but love herself some carbs. Especially those made by Cameron.

"Well, I was thinking...for our date today... how about we spend the day cooking at the Soup Kitchen?"

She smiled. "Wahl cleared the structure? So the old contractor didn't cut any corners with us then?"

Cam smiled, looking more relaxed. "It seems that way... though Dylan had a suggestion and he wants an answer... and I want you to help me make the decision."

Madeline stopped eating to look at him seriously. "What?"




Cam smiled. "Well, it a little over two weeks... you are going to a McGinnis. I want you to be a big part of all the decisions from now on."

Madeline smiled looking dreamily into the distance. "I can't wait for that day..." she murmured then turned her attention back to him. "And I love that you want to include me."




After Madeline finished her pancakes, the two of them headed off to the Soup kitchen. Cam decided to make tofu tacos and Madeline decided to make some garden salad. It was quiet work but the two of them enjoyed their time together.




It was in moments like these that Cam felt blessed that he had met Madeline. Although they had not had the most harmonious beginning to their relationship, she was the one person he knew that he would always love. He had fallen in love with her before and every day he felt himself falling in love with her even more.

After they each ate a small portion, as Madeline jokingly called it, a "quality" check. Cam took Madeline by the hand and they walked into the greenhouse. Cam looked around and smiled. "You know, Mads... this is the place where I first said I love you... well, I wanted to. I never did get that chance."




Madeline pulled her hand back and rolled her eyes. "Sorry that I ruined your proclamation of love by fainting... I didn't really have much control over it."

Cam laughed. "I know.... to be honest... I don't think I would change a thing about how our lives have gone."

He paused and turning looked at the roofing above them. "So... Dylan wants to replace the flat glass roofing with a greenhouse, full glass ceiling. He says it will only take a week. But part of me has a hard time with... well changing anything about this place. My mother designed it, every inch, just like she designed our home."

Madeline looked around considering. "That is true... but isn't the whole point of the legacy that each generation do what they can to improve on the work of the last?"




"If you feel that its going to improve the garden, then I know that your mom would approve." she smiled at him reassuringly. "The only thing I ask is that it doesn't change our wedding date."

Cam smiled. "Your wedding date is safe, don't worry." 

"Then..." she walked across the distance between them and looked up at him sweetly. "I think you should take a chance, Cameron McGinnis. Talk to your mom about it if you need to... but don't be afraid of change."

Cam wrapped his arms around Madeline then. "Mads... I think.... that if its possible I love you even more then I did that night I came to find you."

She smiled. "You want to show me how much more?"




After a while, Cam called Dylan. He knew that Madeline was right. His mother would stand by him as long as his decision was in the good interest of the legacy. And it was.

After they help they made sure that anyone in the park who needed lunch was aware that there was food in the fridge for anyone who needed it, they walked home arm in arm. The perfect end to their date.




When they got back home, they found a very worried Laurent slipping on his chef's coat.

"Oh good, you're got back. I have all the cakes laid out on the table. Your mother is in our room. Just make sure you write down the selection for me..." he ruffled Cam's hair and kissed Madeline on the cheek.

"Thanks, Dad." Cam said with a sheepish smile. Madeline nodded shyly.

"Thanks... Mr... Dad."

Laurent smiled charmingly. "Mr. Dad? I like it." he winked and headed out the door.

Cam looked at his bride to be as the door closed. "You really need to let me know why its so hard to call my Dad... Dad... one of these days?"

Madeline sighed. "Someday." was all she said.

"Well, anyway..." he turned to the table more interested in keeping the happy mood then dragging out ghosts. "There's cakes a deserts... May I?"

He held out a chair to her and she smiled taking a seat.

He grabbed the wine that his Dad had left helpfully on the table and pour them each a glass. "A delicious sweet, desert wine. A favorite of mine." he said simply and took his seat next to her.



Smiling he looked across the table and turned gallantly to her. "My lady, from the culinary mind of Laurent Collins-McGinnis we have many delicious delicacies.... black and white cake, cheesecake, chocolate raspberry mousse, fruit tarts and even carrot cake."




Madeline giggled at him and then she looked seriously across the table. "It all looks delicious," she agreed.

"But... I think..." she grabbed her fork and scooped up some chocolate mouse. "Chocolate first, of course."



She held out the chocolate on her fork to him and Cam took it delicately. "Mmm... delicious." he said and then they dug in happily discussing their favorites. By the time they finally decided on their cake the sun had set outside, but it felt good to finally have the major choices made.

"So... that's that huh?" Cam said. "We decided on the cake, seating, the first dance... my tux, your dress...Done."

Madeline fingered her champagne glass. "I know, I can't believe it so close..."

Cam smiled and raised his glass. "Well... here's to marrying my best friend."




Madeline clinked his glass with hers. "Yes... to marrying my best friend."

For Cam and Madeline, things looked serene and perfect. They had finally made all the decisions they needed to and their plans were laid out and just waiting to happen.

Laura, who had been the one to pay the bills that morning was grappling with opening the one letter addressed to herself.


She stood for a long time, simply just staring at the letter. It was a small envelope... small envelopes were never a good thing. In fact, it was almost certainly an indication that this was bad news. So she should just open it up already and be done with it.

And yet... she stared at the small white envelope in her hands... She dared to hope.

"Oh... this is ridiculous." she said out loud.

But she still couldn't make herself open the envelope. It was times like this that she wished she had confided in someone what she was planning... But there were so many amazing things going on for her family all around her. With Cameron and his marriage, and her father being so close to his final promotion and finally starting his cookbook... and her mother, finally being happily retired.

She shook her head. They would have all made time for her if she had only asked. Truth was, she had wanted this to be her own secret. So it could be her own success or failure alone.

Well, she got what she wanted. She took a deep breath and slowly tore the envelope open.



As her eyes grazed over the worlds she found the words dumbfounding. It wasn't a letter of denial... far from it.

It was everything she had hoped for and more and yet...

Despite the great news, she couldn't even muster the energy to smile or to be surprised, because right behind the burst of excitement came the dampening effect of thoughts of doubt. She still had yet to tell her family about her plans...




She slowly sat down at her bed and thought about her family just outside the room. What would they feel when she told them? Her mother, father, Cam and Madeline (because name changed or not she was already a McGinnis). Even Collin's opinion mattered. For all their arguing it mattered to her what he thought. It matter what her entire family thought.

She didn't know how any of them would take this news... what they might think or say...

How was she going to tell them about her success?

And... when would she finally muster up the courage to tell them...?
_________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: Ok, this update took a bit... Anyway, on to credits. Thanks again to LegacySims2017 for loaning me Dylan Wahl who did not appear but was mentioned in this update. The walking arm in arm pose comes from eslanes, quiddity and joannebernice's Date Night Pose Pack and their cake tasting photos came from pepsi-love's Romantic Date Pose Pack.  And surprisingly... that's it. Thanks for reading and be prepared for some new drama!

Comments

Popular Posts