1.6 Continuing the Legacy


With the garden flourishing, Adaleigh's mind began to move more and more towards children. Her perfect garden would be ready soon and she just could not wait to have a little one to grow with. As she watered she began to wonder what it would be like to stand at this garden bed with her son or her daughter and teach them all about the plants and what the garden meant to NewCrest.


And it wasn't too long before she had wonderful news to share with Laurent.


"So... guess what? We're going to be parents!"

Laurent sat across from her his food that he had been happily munching suddenly forgotten.

"Well, are you going to say anything?"


"Soon there will be little feet running around here." she said still unable to keep herself from being excited, even if Laurent didn't share her enthusiasm.


Finally he broke the silence. "That's.... I mean great... uh... where will the baby sleep?"

"Well, I mean I haven't planned everything but-- Laurent we're going to be parents!"

He smiled. "Yea." he rose and the two of them hugged just as the front door opened and Summer called out a cheerful, "Hey McGinnises!"



"Oh! Summer!" Laurent and Adaleigh pulled apart grinning sheepishly at her.

"Did I come at a bad time?" Summer looked back and forth between the two in confusion.

"No..." Adaleigh beamed. She just couldn't believe that she would be able to tell Summer the great news too. "It's perfect timing. I... I need to talk to you."

She grabbed Summer's hand and pulled her into the bedroom.


"I'm really glad you came by." Adaleigh said as the girls plopped down on the bed.

"I'm glad I stopped by too." Summer looked confused but game. "I actually came by because I just had to biggest revelation ever about Travis."


"Really... what happened?" Adaleigh felt like she might explode from wanting to tell her friend but she wanted her to know she was there for her any time. Summer was one of the few friends she really had.

"Well....he's gay and seeing this guy. And it made me realize that Liberty and I-- wait. What are we doing? Something is going on with you and Laurent. Forgot my problems. Tell me what happened?"



"Uh... well, we are expecting..."

Adaleigh waited for some kind of reaction and like Laurent Summer was really quiet at first. And then she was loud. "AH!"


"Uh... what!? Oh my gosh! Congratulations! That is so amazing!" she looked at her friend and then her face sombered. "So you just told Laurent?"

"Yea..."

"What... what is that face? How'd he take the news?"

"Honestly, I am not really sure." she said. "He was really quiet and he asked where the baby was going to sleep but aside from that he didn't say much else..."

"Oh, Ada...."

"I'm fine."

Summer leaned over and put her hand on Ada's shoulder. Just then Laurent knocked on the door.

"Hey, Adaleigh.... mind if  I interrupt?"

The door opened and Laurent walked in front of the girls.



"I assume from the scream, that you told Summer the news?" he said cautiously.

Adaleigh looked over at her friend and then to her husband. "Yes."

"Okay..." Laurent took a deep breath and then looked at them both. "I realize that I didn't exactly have the most excited reaction to the news but Adaleigh it's so soon. And I barely know if I'm a good husband and now I have to be a father too. And where will be the baby sleep....? And there are just so many unknowns. It worries me."

Adaleigh fought not to smile. Her perfectionist husband was really trying his hardest.




 She looked over at Summer who smiled with confidence in return.

"I know it's a lot." she said looking back at her husband. "It's a lot for me too. I mean I have been thinking I want kids. I want Newcrest to have a new leader once I am finished with the Park. And we're just happy. And..."


"And we'll make it work." Laurent finished grabbing her hands and pulling her to stand in front of him. He slowly brought her hands to his lips. "I'm sorry." he said softly against them.

Smiling Summer slowly stood up from the bed. She felt awkward and a little happy to see them work things out so well. They were truly a happy and magical couple.

"Well, I should probably go."


Ada turned back to her friend. "Oh Summer, no, you don't have to go."

"Yea, I really should go. I'll come by another day and we'll have a girl chat when Laurent is working a catering job for the night and I call in "sick." Because those are the best times."

"For you, maybe, I'm stuck with Dina Caliente washing the dishes next to the prep station all night." Laurent said with a grin still holding Ada's hand.

"I know, that's what makes those nights off the most enjoyable."

Ada smiled. She felt so lucky to have such good friends and family now. She had come such a long way. Her hand unconciously went to her stomache as she watched the exchange.

"Alright, well, then I'll walk you out."

The girls walked in silence for a while. as they got to the edge of the lot Summer sighed.

"You know, I always kind of knew that Travis wouldn't be interested in me." she said softly.


Turning Ada pulled her friend into a warm hug. "He never deserved you anyway." she said against her friends cheek. "Besides, there are lots of cute guys around. I'm sure that someday soon you'll find someone who's perfect for you."


Summer pulled away laughing a little self conciously. "Yea, maybe. And until then I can come by and watch you, Miss Mayor."

Adaleigh smiled. "You're welcome here any time, Miss Holiday."

"I'll hold you to that." Summer said with a small smile.

Comments

Popular Posts