2.3 Who to Trust


Even after a nice shower, Cam still felt frustrated with his brother. Why did Collin put his faith in the wrong people? Pacing in his room for a moment, he realized he needed to calm down. He needed to get outside. He always felt better in the open. And right now he needed that good feeling.

If he was going outside, he decided he better take out the trash. Might as well put his foul mood to use and maybe slam a trashcan lid. So he went to the kitchen and grabbed his trash.


As he rounded the corner to the back of the house where the trashcans were located he was surprised t see Madeline standing beside the house. It was hard to tell from the distance but she looked pensive and distracted. Still he was really glad to see her. He needed something to get his mind off the news this morning.

"Hey, Madeline!" he shouted but she didn't turn her head or react. Concerned he quickly threw the trash away and walked around to the front of her.


"Hey early bird, what are you doing back here?" he said smoothly as Madeline finally focused on him.

"Oh, Cam. Hi." she replied.


"You came to walk with me to school, right?" he said confidantly. "How is it you always know when I need someone..."

She smiled nervously.


"Yep, that's why I'm here." she said with a big smile suddenly growing on her face. "After all, only a couple days left to be in high school together. We're graduating Friday and then Saturday is the Big McGinnis Birthday Bash!"

"I can believe it's almost time to graduate. I mean I also can't believe I'll be a young adult soon and taking over the McGinnis..." Cam stopped himself. Was he any better than Collin in talking to Madeline about his impending mayorial status. Sure, Laura had told her first but...

"Cam, what's wrong? You still not sure how you're feeling?"


But Madeline wasn't Myla of course.

He smiled. He vowed not to discuss his new status as Mayor until after his birthday but it wasn't like there was anything to worry about. "Yea, just some family drama."


He looked over his shoulder and his smile transformed into a frown. "Speaking of family drama, here comes the family star."

Madeline looked over her shoulder and Cam scooted closer to the house, like he was trying to hide. Madeline was obviously confused but she moved with him looking back and forth between Collin and Cam as Collin and Laura walked over.

Laura smiled. "Hey, Madeline. Oh good. You here to walk to school with us. We could use a good buffer today."

Collin looked amused. "What, little brother hasn't cooled off yet?" he said smugly.



"I haven't... I mean..." Cam couldn't even find the words to begin.

Laura stepped between the two. "See what I mean."


"Ok, seriously, I call truce." Laura said turning her attention to her brothers.

Collin laughed. "Hey I'm not the one having a hissy fit."


He looked at his phone and apparently decided that right now was the perfect time to take a selfie. "Good morning, handsome." he said to himself.

Everyone else could only stare in disbelief.


"Why, oh Watcher, why did you have to make me the sibling of these two knuckleheads." she said looking up to the sky.

Cam couldn't help but laugh a little at his sister. He might be mad at his brother for his slip up but Laura was right. Now was not the time or the place.


Still, he thought as they all started walking to school, Collin didn't have to be so nonchallant about it either.


On the way to school, Cam fell in step with Madeline and Collin and Laura walked a few steps behind. Talk turned to graduation and the big birthday party. Cam realized he hadn't invited Madeline yet.

"I know that almost everyone at school is invited and coming but... Madeline, you're coming to our party right?" he asked, a little uncertain.

"Huh? Oh, yea of course." she replied.

Cam smiled the rest of the way to school.

* * *

Although Collin acted as nonchallant in front of his siblings, especially the almighty Cam, because he knew it would annoy him the most, it bothered him all day at school. Had talking with Myla really been the cause of the leak? Was Myla merely using him. And if she was then to what end?

I mean, it's not like the Landgraab's were without their own prestige. Myla's older brother Malcolm was the heir apparent to the Landgraab enterprises and they lived in a giant mansion in Oasis Springs.

He was so quiet on the walk home that it was inevitable that Myla would notice. When the reach the corner she stood in front him and looked him square in the eye.

"Ok, what's up?" she said with her hands on her hips. "You're never this quiet."


He sighed. "Honestly there is something I want to talk to you about. Do you mind if we walk down to the park though...I'd rather talk to you away from my family for now."

She looked confused and slightly concerned. "Sure."



The walked to the park in silence.

When they got there, they sat down around the chess table as if they were of one mind. Collin looked down at the chess pieces deep in thought.

"Collin, what is it. Just talk to me." Myla said after the silence stretch between them for what seemed an eternity to them both.


"Did you see the news this morning?" he finally said looking at her as he carefully chose his words. "My family featured pretty prominately in a story about the McGinnis legacy..."

She looked at him blankly.


"I guess... the thing is. The reporter said pretty much what I told you the other day and well... I guess what I'm asking is... did you go the news with the story that I was "passed over" for the legacy."


She didn't answer right away and Collin sighed and looked down at the floor. "I...I just need to know if I can trust you."


"You seriously think it was me who went to the press?" she asked finally.


"Well, you're the only one who I said anything to and I know Cameron wouldn't say anything. He's way too...obidient to share anything before Mom's ready."

"So obviously it has to be me." she spat getting angry now. "I can't believe you think that I could be that kind of person. Especially knowing what I deal with everyday as a Landgraab. Why do you think I transferred away from Oasis Springs High School in the first place!?"

Aggravated now, she stood up to leave. "Wait! Myla!"


Collin leapt up and grabbed Myla's arm. "Look I don't know what to think, Myla. I don't know who to trust. Right now, everything I have, everything at school... It felt like it was built on the lie that everyone believed. That I was the next heir."

He looked down at the ground. "Today was kind of a relief if I'm honest. I spent the whole day dealing with everyone telling me they felt so bad that I got passed over-- the very words I said to you --but I got to tell them the truth. It doesn't matter to me that I'm not the heir.... but if I can't tell you how I really feel-"

Collin stopped himself. Because he still hadn't really told her how he felt or why it was so important that she hadn't betrayed his trust.


"Collin" she jabbed him sharply in the chest and he wince crossing his arms to protect himself. "If you had any feelings for me then you would know that there's no way I would ever betray you! I would never betray someone I--" now Myla faltered.

"I would never betray someone like that." she finished lamely and stood tall despite the slight pink tint that lit her cheeks. 


Collin didn't think about what to do next. His heart sang. Despite everything, the fact that Myla had said she cared, or at least walked around saying. That at this moment was the only thing that mattered.

He kissed her.

Myla leaned back in shock. But she didn't pull away.


They stayed that way for a long moment, frozen in their togetherness. Then as Collin pulled back, a smile on his lips, Myla slapped him.

"You don't get to kiss me after what you just said." Myla spit angrily. "When you finally figure out who really betrayed your family come talk to me."


Collin sadly watched her storm away. She had every right to be mad at him. Why hadn't he told how he felt sooner or asked her on a date...He had really messed up.

One thing he did know.

Myla hadn't been the one to talk to the press... so who did?

_________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: So this took longer than I planned. I had lots of drama and things planned and it took a while to track down the right poses to get the impact I wanted. All this drama was inspired by one in game action, which I will reveal in a later chapter. In this chapter I relied on Joanne-Bernice's Walk and Talk Pose Pack and Atashi77's Stolen Kisses Angry kisses to continue the story on. Hope you liked it. 

Comments

Popular Posts