2.24 Last Meal

"OK...just... tilt it and then... perfect." Cam's arms strained as he and his brother maneuvered the last couch into the largest model home. To cut down on costs, he and Collin were working as the manual labor in setting up the furniture that the Sims Council had ordered.

Collin grunted as he brought his side of the couch into the house. "Did the Council have to order the largest, most unyielding piece of furniture possible?" he shifted his grip a bit. "Where are we putting this monstrosity?"

"Over here, with the smaller one." Cam gestured with his left shoulder awkwardly.


"This is the last of it... isn't it?" Collin asked as the brothers struggled to maneuver the couch into place.

"Yes." Setting the couch into place, Cam breathed out a sigh of relief and walking to the other edge flopped on the couch. "Thank the Watcher... that's all of it. Thanks for helping."

Collin sat down on the opposite end of the couch. No smart comeback, just a sigh.



Cam raised an eyebrow. It wasn't like Collin to be so quiet. He always had a comeback or smart comment. Especially if Cam was the one who was convincing him to help out with something. "OK... what's going on with you? You're too quiet... it's not like you."

Collin looked over at Cam, a look in his eyes that Cam could never recall being there.



Cam slid across the couch, so that he sat next to his brother. "Seriously... Col, what's going on with you? You know... you know, that as your brother, I'm always here for you... right?"



Collin looked down at the ground and then another sigh escaped his lips. He hesitantly looked back up at Cameron and then. "Yeah, I know, well... you know... how I asked if I could borrow the keys to the Cozy Yellow Ranch for Love Day?"

Cam nodded. "Yeah, I remember. You said you were planning something for Myla.... is... this about Myla? Did something happen?"

Collin looked down at the ground.


"I brought Myla to the house because I had this super special dinner planned. I ordered it from our favorite restaurant in San Myshuno and I had it delivered. Dad baked some extra Love Day Cookies for me and I had those too."


I must have lit like a million candles. I brought in a table for two and got her favorite flowers, pink hydrangeas. I was so nervous.



Of course she noticed. She asked me what was going on... and I was looking at her, thinking that she was just so beautiful. I kissed her hands. I was so nervous I couldn't even find the words.



Thinking back on it...I think if I hadn't been so busy being nervous about what I was planning to do I might have noticed that she wasn't exactly happy with my surprise. In fact, she was really quiet. In the end... I never played that song for her.




I just couldn't wait to ask her that question. That one question that had been ringing through my mind while I planned all of this.




And so I asked.



But... she couldn't accept. I remember the pained look in her eyes as she pushed the ring back to me... All she said was... "I can't."



Everything broke in that moment. And awkwardly and without another word, she slipped out the back door and walked away. We.... she hasn't contacted me since. And I'm too scared of what she will say if I do contact her again.



Collin covered his face then and Cam gave him a sympathetic look.

He knew what it was like to face a moment like that. He and Madeline had had a similar moment like that and if he had left it like that... "But if you don't talk to her again... how will you ever move past it?"

Collin lifted his face from his hands and looked at his brother.


"And by move past it, I mean how will you either move on or move forward if that's what you two want? I mean look at Maddie and me...If I hadn't talked to her after everything that happened..."


Cam lifted his arm in a shrug. "Well, we probably wouldn't be having our little girl in the next few days, would we?"

"I...." a small smile crossed Collin's face at the thought of his little niece to be. "I can't say you're wrong."

Cam grinned in a self-satisfied way. "No, you can--"

CRASH!



The brothers reeled around to find Madeline leaning against the corner leading into the kitchen. Plates, grilled cheese, apples and chips were scattered on the floor in front of her.

"Mads!" Collins started towards her first as Cam remained still frozen on the couch.

Madeline pressed her hand into the post dividing the kitchen from the living room. "I'm... fine. Fine." she took a deep breath as another contraction rolled through her. "It's only the beginning..."



"Beginning?" the word seemed to snap Cam to attention and he got up hurrying to his wife.

She nodded as Collin reached her side and helped her to sit down. "Yes, beginning. The contractions are just started. They're still quite far apart."

Once he had her settled he walked back over to the spilled food and swept up the food onto the plates. Cameron was now in the archway and he figured there was no way that he would have the mindset to clean it up. Sparing a quick glance at his already panicking brother, he took the plates and food out the back door to toss them in the trash.




The contraction stopped and Madeline looked over at Cam to find him cupping his face in his hands.

"But shouldn't we--?" he asked nervous, panic evident in his eyes.

"I already called Dr. Chang. She said that its OK to wait a bit if I'm not ready. You were over here with Collin and I... I was hungry."

She looked over at Collin as he walked back in from the back door. Will one of you run back over to the house and grab another plate of grilled cheese for me? The contractions aren't that bad and I want to eat before you cart me off to the hospital."

Collin looked over at her and then nodded. "Yeah, Mads. I'll go do that."

Madeline smiled at Collin gratefully.

When he returned, he found Cam pacing the ground and Madeline frowning at him. "I'm fine, Cameron, and I refuse to leave for the hospital until I eat. I hate hospital food," she said it resolutely.

Collin set the plate down in front of her and smiled. "This is why you are my favorite brother-in-law. Thanks, Collin." she bit into the sandwich with gusto.

Collin smiled. "I'm your only brother-in-law but far be it for me to argue with the mother-to-be..."

"Smart too..." she smiled at him around a mouthful of sandwich.

He smiled in return and glanced over at Cam. "I...uh... I have a opening gig tonight so I have to get going but... as soon as the gigs up I'll meet you at the hospital."

Madeline nodded full attention on her sandwich. "Uh huh..."

Cam looked at his brother with a look of terror. "But shouldn't---I mean... I'm going to be... Dad. Mom. I..."

Collin patted his brother sympathetically on the shoulder. "I already let the parents know what's going on. I'll honestly be surprised if Mom doesn't come marching straight over as soon as she gets changed. You should... probably call Laura. You know she's going to drop everything to make it down. ...and maybe have her tell you to take a deep breath."

Cam nodded numbly and pulled out his phone.



Taking one last look at Madeline over his shoulder, Collin headed out. Another contraction had gripped her and she put a reassuring hand on her stomach. "Wait... just a little longer, little one... Mommy just wants one last meal, OK?"

---

Author's Note: Hey my readers. Yes, I live. I know it's been a bit since I wrote in here. Apologies. I have the inspiration but when you have an energetic 5 year old running around under foot it can be a little difficult to find the time to get things screenshot and written. Now that Kindergarten is under way I have a little more time for myself and am hoping to get to be a bit more productive on the writing front. 

So I wanted to speak a little on Collin's heartbreak this chapter. It actually really threw me for a loop as, if you remember the last post which I did around Valentine's Day, I had actually played out this scenario then and when Myla rejected Collin I was about as broken up as Collin. I can't believe she rejected my little boy!  I literally sat there with the screen paused on her face as she pushed the ring away for a good long moment after I captured the shot just... dumbfounded. But... well, it happened. I guess we will just have to see how Collin moves forward from here...

Also soon we will have a nooboo.  As soon as the next update. Madeline really did grab a grilled cheese right after her labor started... and as a mother who went to grab a burger (because I was not vegetarian while pregnant) before I checked myself into the hospital, I had to respect her need for food before going. Though it was hilarious to witness Cam freaking out while she tried to eat her sandwich in between contractions.

Pose credit: My Water Just Broke by Sim_ply Reality, 600 Follower Pose Pack [Carrying Pose] by TigressSimmer.

Thanks as always for reading. Please leave your thoughts, comments or feedback if you can. And Happy Simming...

Also as I was setting up the shot of Mads having her contractions, because I am EXTRA that way, Cam and Collin decided to go and grab a nap. I have this mod in place which makes them lay differently then normal on beds and sofas so.... I got this wonderful GQ-esque shot of them in the bedroom. 😂. Enjoy! 



(I didn't realize that the seat/shelf I placed there actually functioned as a loveseat....!)

Comments

Popular Posts