2.13 A Special Surprise


Cam slept in super late the next day. It wasn't really a surprise, what with him not going to bed until nearly 1 am. When he finally did wake up, the other bed was empty. He wasn't really sure what he was going to say to his sister to explain him sleeping in her bed but... he glance at his phone. Well, that could wait until later. She was already at work.

He needed to use the bathroom and he decided it was just too weird to use his sister bathroom when his was right across the hall. Plus, he wanted his toothbrush.....and....a part of him wanted to check on Madeline, if he was being honest. He eased the bedroom door open and saw she was still sound asleep on the bed. She looked so peaceful.

Smiling he headed into the bathroom and after using the facilities, decided he needed to brush his teeth and get going for the day. After all, as the new Mayor he had a lot to do.

"Cameron?" Cam tilted his head as he heard his mom walking in the room. Poking his head out of the bathroom he saw his Mom standing over Madeline looking a little confused.

"Mom..." he waved and motioned her to join him in the bathroom.

"Cameron... why is Madeline in your bed?" she asked looking concerned.

"Don't worry, Mom, I slept in her bed across the hall. She fell asleep on my bed last night and I didn't have the heart to move her. Although she's cleared by the doctor I think she's still recovering her strength." he spit and rinsed out his mouth. "So what's up?"


"I just wanted to check on you."

"Dad talk to you?"

Adaleigh bit her lip. "He may have mentioned you talked." she responded with a smile.

"I know. I was a bit down about inspiration but the other project that we are working on is almost done. I want to take Madeline down there to see it today when she gets up."

"They finished it already?" she asked her eyes lighting up. "The construction crew from the Sims Council is amazing."

She looked at her son knowingly. "And yes, I know it can be frustrating when you start... but I know that the inspiration will come when it comes to the other houses. If I can build an entire park, I know you can design three houses."


Cam smiled and the kept smiling even as he motioned his mom to follow him quietly out of the room to let Madeline sleep in.


Feeling confident, he went to his parents room to start working on the rest of his presentation. He had decided to put together a pricing list and was researching material prices. He also had to send a email to the foreman of the construction crew and get a price on labor costs. By the time he finished he realized that it was almost lunch time.

Time to grab some lunch and if he was lucky he would find Madeline awake. Unfortunately Madeline wasn't awake yet but looking in the fridge he decided to snag some cake. It just looked too good and he had worked really hard this morning.


He had just finished his cake when Madeline surfaced from her room.

"Hey sleepyhead."

She rubbed her eyes and opened the fridge. Grabbing a slice of cake she sat next to him. "Hey." she yawned.

"You're in your pajamas..." Cam was a little confused.

"Yeah, I just changed into my PJ's... didn't want anyone to think I was doing a walk of shame."

Cam laughed. "You just fell asleep on my bed. Mom already knows I slept in your bed."

Madeline winced. "Great, just what I need. Now I'm a freeloading girlfriend who sleeps in her boyfriend's bed....God, what your mom must think of me."

"My mom trusts us. Me and You." he said pointedly. "Besides, you are far from freeloading. You've already got a job. Heck, if anyone is freeloading... it's me."

"Hey you have your job as Mayor of Newcrest. That's a big responsibility... even if it doesn't bring in more than donation to the build fund right now." she took a bite of cake. "I love your Dad's cake."


"I guess that's true." Cam looked down at his empty plate. "Hey, I was wondering... there's something that I wanted to show you. It actually has a lot to do with the Mayor legacy... Want to take a walk with me? After you finish your cake of course?"


 After 'brunch', Cam and Madeline headed across the street. He walked down the street to just before the bridge. It was the first of the two smaller lots. The biggest of the three lots was across the street from their current house.

"So as the new Mayor, you know that I have to build housing that's cost-effective to attract new families to the neighborhood. I have to design at least three houses and then they will tweak the designs and make similar houses across the bridge for this entire neighborhood. Problem is that I'm having trouble with the designs."


For a moment the two gazed out at the empty lots. "It's such a big job." Madeline murmured. "I don't know if I could do it."

Cam felt the smile itching at his lips. "I have to admit, right now I don't feel like I can do it but... This isn't the only thing that I wanted to show you."

Something about Madeline just made him feel good inside. Walking across the grass towards the park, he took her hand in his. It just all felt so natural.


As they got closer he felt her fingers tighten and he worried it might be too soon. But the surprise he had for her... well, he hoped that she would like it.  As they stepped into the park, Cam stopped as they approached the edge of the wedding area. He let go of her hand to turn to look at her.

Madeline was looking down at the ground very hard as if concentrating.

He sighed. "I know it's probably not easy to be here... and I wouldn't have brought you but... I wanted to show you..." He leaned in close.



Madeline looked at him in surprise. "What?"


Without saying anything else, Cam turned and walked into the former arboretum. All the trees had been relocated across the park and an outdoor kitchen with a state of the art fridge and stove stood in their place. There was even a sink on the small island which had three stool in front of it.

"Welcome to the new Beavers Family Soup Kitchen." he turned and looked at her face. "It's being fully stocked and furnished by the Sims Council. There will always be food here for anyone who needs it."


Madeline didn't seem to know what to say and Cam went and pulled out a barstool. "Would you like a seat, Miss Beavers?"

She smiled and took a seat. "I don't know what to say."


"It's beautiful." she said looking around excitedly. "It's exactly the kind of thing this community needs."


"So you like it?" Cam said looking expectedly at her.

"Like it? Of course I like it." she squeezed her hands excitedly in front of her. "It's so utterly amazing I really don't know what to say."


"I've never had anyone do anything like this for me in my entire life. You are so amazing." she said smiling at him and making his heart swell in his chest.

Suddenly it felt as though he needed to so something and do something right this moment. He hadn't really thought about it when he had grab the small box out of his room. It had really been an impulse but now he knew that it had been fate that at this moment they were here and he had that box in his pocket.

"Madeline will you humor me for a moment?" he asked and she tilted her head looking just a little confused.

He held out his hand and Madeline took it with a smile. Pulling her outside the new soup kitchen, he walked to the wedding arch. This arch was where his parents had gotten married. True, it had been moved in the constuction of the park but it still had so much meaning.

"This arch is important to the McGinnis' family. My parents got married underneath it.... My brother and sister and I played under it when we were growing up here. It has so many memories and the truth is..."


Cam took a deep breath. "I want it to have more meaning to us." he felt his heart pounding in his chest and put a hand on his chest to steady his heart.


He went down on one knee and held his hands in front of him. "I didn't plan this today... if I had I might have brought flowers or wine or something but... I knew the moment I decided to go see you that I was madly in love with you. And I knew when you decided you had to help my family by taking on a job if you were going to stay, that you were in our relationship for the long haul. Just looking at you tonight, so strong in the face of such painful memories and so happy for others..."


"Madeline Beavers... will you marry me?"

"Cam..." Madeline stared at him, her brown eyes big and shocked and then a smile spread across the face. "How is it with you I never have the words?"

"I would really like it if you would just use one..." he said smiling, though he felt as if his heart might leap out of his chest at any moment.

"Yes... Yes! Oh, yes, Cameron McGinnis." she took the ring and slipped it on her finger. Thankfully it fit perfectly. "Cam, it's beautiful."


He stood. "Not as beautiful as you." he murmurred and kissed her firmly.

Madeline was going to be his bride. His heart sang.

"Oh my gosh!" Madeline said suddenly giggling. "We're getting married!!!"


Elated, she shouted and then she jumped into Cam's arms. Thankfully he caught her, though he was very surprised. "I am marrying the amazing Cameron McGinnis!!!"

Cam and she laughed and he twirled her around in his arms before setting her down on the ground both of them breathless with laughter. The two pressed the faces together. "I'm going to marry you..." Madeline whispered, giddy with laughter.

"And I'm going to marry you..." Cam responded and then pulled her close.


And then Cameron kissed her. Kissed her until neither could think. For a moment, it was like they were the only two people in the entire world. 


When Madeline finally pulled away, the biggest grin on her face. "I did not see this surprise coming at all." she said. "I can't believer you proposed."

Cam laughed. "To be honest, I didn't really plan it. I thought we could cook some food and hang out in the park, but something in you just inspired me." 

"Well, then Mr. McGinnis... should we continue our date?" she said grinning at him.

"We shall..."






They spent the rest of the afternoon and evening at the park. Cam cooked taco casserole, Madeline made a fiery, spicy drink which she lit on fire for him. But mostly they talked, they talked and laughed and lived in their own world. 


When they walked in the door, Cam realized he was still hungry and he grabbed a breadstick from the fridge and plopped down on the table. Madeline said she was going to wash up. 

"So...." Laura sidled up next to him. "You both were gone a long time... Mom says you left at lunch time."

He munched on the bread. "Yeah..." he murmurred.

"Also... Madeline has a new ring.... anything you want to tell me, Cameron McGinnis?"

He swallowed hard. "Well, it wasn't planned but... where's Mom?"

"Right here." Adaleigh walked in from the back porch. "Just watering the dragonfruit bushes before the night. They do best with night water... did you need me? Let me just make some tea."

Laura raised an eyebrow. "Cameron...has some news, Mom."


"Oh, did Madeline like her surprise?" she said from the kitchen.

Laura muffled a laugh. "I think so... I also think Cam has a surprise for you too."

"More surprises?" Madeline said coming from the kitchen with her own plate of breadsticks. "I don't think anyone can take anymore."

Madeline slipped into the chair next to Laura and shortly after Adaleigh sat down. "So, Madeline, what did you think about the soup kitchen?"


Madeline took a bite of her bread. "It was so wonderful, Mrs. McGinnis."

Adaleigh smiled. "I thought you might--" she stopped short in lifting her cup of tea to her lips as she appeared to notice Madeline's ring. "I see... that Cameron had another surprise in store as well. 

Madeline blushed and self-conciously grabbed the ring and twirled it. "I guess he did. He really caught me off guard." she murmurred.

Laura grinned. "I'll say."

Cam turned a good-natured glare in his sister direction. "I didn't really plan to propose today... I actually planned on talking to you about it first Mom... but... I don't know. It felt right, under the arch and with the sun setting...I just couldn't help."

Adaleigh smiled her hands cupped around her tea. "I can imagine." setting the tea gently down on the table and walked to her middle son. "I'm so happy for you, Cam."

Cam felt his shoulders relaxed and he stood and his mother pulled her in close for a hug.


"I'm so glad that your happy." his mom murmurred into his ear.

"I have, Mom." he replied and over his mother's shoulder his eyes met Madeline as she smiled contentedly. "I really have."

Madeline chimed in. "I know it's late but I have to call my Mom and tell her the news. She's going to be so excited!"

Standing she kissed Cam on the cheek and ran down the hall to hers and Laura's room.


"So... big brother.... have you made any decisions about the wedding yet?"

Cam plopped into the chair closest to him. "I...uh..." he yawned widely. "I have to admit, Laura, we haven't made any decisions yet. I wasn't even planning to propose today honestly."

"Laura, don't pressure Cameron too much." she said sympathetically.

"Alright... but I totally want to help plan it." she took a deep breath. "I can just see it now...Inspiration is already filling me with ideas."

Cameron shook his head. "I think for now the only thing I need to envision is the back of my eyelids."

Adaleigh leaned over and kissed Cameron on the head. "You should do that dear. It's really late. Good night."


He looked back to his sister. "But talk to Madeline about it. I'm sure she would really like to have your input on it."

Laura smiled and then noticed the plate still on the table. "I think she's going to need it. She was so excited to call her mom that she forgot her plate." she murrmurred and picked it up. "Go get some sleep, Cam, hopefully tomorrow inspiration will finally strike you and you can put those designs together."

Cam yawned again and walked sleepily down the hallway. He could only hope. Still tonight had been one special surprise for Madeline and himself. He couldn't help but smile as he plopped down on the bed still fully clothed.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: Okay so I'm trying to live out my Sims whims a little more lately and doing a lot more observation and a lot less minute-to-minute controlling. It's been both liberating and difficult. Surprsingly just shortly after Cam rolled the whim to ask Madeline out and he did he then immediately roll a "Get Engaged" and Madeline went straight to "Marry Cameron." I was really taken aback. But it's what they wanted... I had always planned the date to the Soup Kitchen, as part of the Madeline's homeless arc, but when they were there it just seemed too perfect not to have Cam propose... so it happened. Hope you like it. Kind of excited to see what will happen next, though don't be surprised when some pose packs come in play... I haven't completely given up on the story-driven aspect.

Comments

Popular Posts